All property owners in unincorporated Wasco County, outside the National Scenic Area, received a postcard notice in February 2020 informing them of proposed changes to the Wasco County Comprehensive Plan and Zoning Map. These changes are part of the Planning Department multi-year update to the Comprehensive Plan, Wasco County 2040. This year’s updates include:
- Updates to Goal 5/Chapter 5 (Natural, Cultural, Historic Resources) including policies on sensitive wildlife
- New Chapter 4/Goal 4 (Forest Lands) to include revised policies and implementation strategies. This includes a new overview, new format, new findings, and updates to language to make it current.
- New Chapter 8/Goal 8 (Recreation) to include revised policies and implementation strategies. This includes a new overview, new format, new findings, and updates to language to make it current.
- Proposed revised EPD-8 (Sensitive Wildlife) overlay zone map.
- Proposed revised EPD-12 (Sensitive Birds) overlay zone map.
- Proposed new Destination Resorts siting map.
Many of the proposed updates are required by state law (OAR 660-023) or have been identified by stakeholders or the community to be important for long range planning. Updates may carry with them impacts to uses or values of property.
Planning staff cannot predict impacts to uses or values. Many revised or new implementation strategies will be part of the Land Use and Development Ordinance updates scheduled to begin in 2021.. Inclusion into one of the revised overlay zone map may mean increased fees, increased time for new development application permitting, or that certain activities or locations for new development must be moved or mitigated to reduce conflict.
We encourage all citizens to talk directly with Planning staff to learn more.
Planning Department can be reached via phone 541-506-2560 or email at wcplanning at co.wasco.or.us.